GL 5 Attacking Yellow metals

From: David Cole (DavidCole@tk7.net)
Date: Tue Apr 15 2003 - 07:31:35 PDT

This is simply no longer true.

If you do some serious net cruisng and search for GL5, Corrosion, and MT-1,
which is the newest standard for Gear Oil, you will see that virtually
every GL5/MT-1 formulation out there as been setup for use with Yellow
metals. The MT-1 specification includes a corrosion test of yellow metals
as one of the baseline specs. Early GL5 formulations had problems with
yellow metals. That is no longer the case.

If you look at the specs for GL5 versus GL1, you will see that GL1 is a
vastly inferior lubricant which dates back to bevel gears being used in
axles. The specs I could find only find it suitable for lightly loaded
gearboxes that are not hypoid. Not everything old was good.

Dave

--
Dave