Re: [MV] Danger M416

From: Thomas M McHugh (tmmchugh@msn.com)
Date: Tue Apr 15 2003 - 08:24:34 PDT

Unless we were short drivers, I usually drove a jeep to Annual Training. I
have accumulated lots of mileage during my 43 years military, (3yrs Army, 30
yrs NJARNG, 10 Army reserve), we drove turnpike & thruway often & never had
a problem. A poor front end adjustment, poor tires & an untrained driver
could be a cause of a problem.. I doubt it would lift without a unique set
of circumstances. The only jeep & trailer accident was caused by a Nitwit
letting the Jeep pass & pulling out into the trailer. The trailer being hit
sideways flipped the Jeep & Trailer spilling people & contents all over 4
lanes of the NY Thruway. No deaths, 3 badly injured military members.

The only trailer problem on my M38A1 years ago was the lack of good brakes
when a loaded trailer was pushing. Extremely bad at stop signs after
stopping. Then pulling up a vehicle length at a time. The trailer pushes
almost half a jeep length. As long as you leave proper distances, it is
OK.

On a trip to Alaska in 1990, I had trucks pass me doing 80 - 90 in the
northwest. I am not sure that even the wind from that speed would do it.
With an Anti-Sway Bar, there was little push as they went bye.

Tom McHugh, NJ
1952 M38A1
M-416 Trailer
MVPA, MTA, KWVA