1000 Miles in a deuce and more!

From: Recovry4x4@aol.com
Date: Tue Apr 15 2003 - 09:43:13 PDT

Greeting list, just got home last night from a 1015 mile deuce ride. I want
to share my experience as I met 2 great friends from the list, looked at some
one of a kind trucks and learned a few things along the way. Some folks on
the list have probably figured out that I have a real soft spot for deuce
tractors. As I look out the window here I now see one in my driveway. Many
thanks go out to Bruce Kubu who used to own the cleanest original deuce
tractor I have ever seen. Now it's mine. It all started Sunday morning when
Bruce picked me up from the airport in Baltimore. I knew right away when
Bruce arrived as the roar of his mint, original M1009 blazer preceeded him in
rounding the corner. After the introductions we were off to his place with
one stop along the way. Much was said about trucks, the hobby, significant
others and their support an so on. During out brief stop I was able to look
at Bruce's M274 mule. What a cool little runabout to have. Bruce had a
stockpile of necessary items to upgrage his constantly changing motorpool.
After another brief ride we arrived at his green stable. As we rounded to
corner of the building the first thing I saw was Jumbo the M125 10 ton cargo.
This vehicle is so massive that its beyond words. The truck had a frame up in
I think 94 and it shows. For any of you with means, this would be a truly
unique vehicle to add to your collection. You will not find a nicer 10 ton
anywhere and the cargo is so much more impressive than the tractor. Another
truck that was seen sitting on the property was the M656 belonging to Tom
(morethanjustalittlecrazy) B. No last names since I didn't ask Tom if I
could use it. The 656 is awesome and impressive. I got to ride in it and it
is cool and user friendly. Looks like a bear to service though. We took it
for a ride and its a very impressive driver. If you've never rode in one, you
shoud. If you have rode in one, it was probably Tom's because I just haven't
seen another one. Tom is also known for his CAT powered M35A8 and is building
another cool deuce with air locking differentials in all 3 axles. Just to
gauge the kind of people these guys are consider this. After complaining to
Tom about not having time to make a set of dummy front drive flanges for the
deuce, he showed up with a pair that he just had made for my trip home. He
handed them over and would accept nothing in return. Thanks Tom, we'll get
to the mileage in a bit. Now back to the other sites to seeduring my few hour
visit in MD. If you have ever seen some of Bruce's trucks you would agree
that he has nothing but first class stuff. He has an M932 tractor with the
military FWTD (fifth wheel towing device) that looks like new. He also had a
900 series dump with single 1400 tires on it. Of course Jumbo the 10 ton and
a very impressive M813A1 with lockers in the axles. You would be hard pressed
to find any trucks nicer than these. Bruce has bent over backwards in making
it possible for me to buy this M275A2. Besides that he gave me a bag with
every needed data plate and sticker for the interior. Every detail of the
truck was disclosed to me before my trip and confirmed upon arrival. I got
more than I expected and this truck screams. You will not find 2 guys with
more class than these 2 men in any hobby anywhere. My few hours in MD will
long be remembered. Thanks Bruce and Tom. Now, on to what I've learned about
1000 mile deuce trips. In preparation for the long highway ride we removed
the front drive flanges to reduce drag and wear. Arthur Bloom sells the
lockouts that can do this with the flick of a wrist. Once the drive flanges
were removed we also removed one rear axle and replace it with a drive
flange. This elimitates any bind between rear axles. With this complete I
said my goodbys and headed for the highway. Let me tell you that a bobtail
deuce tractor, with only one driving rear axle, can spin the tires at will. I
adjusted my takeoff techniques accordingly. My first tank of fuel figured out
to give me 11.9 MPG. I was impressed. This was figured travelling on the
interstate at about 52 MPH. My next tank dropped down to 8.5 MPG probably due
to the fact that I was traveling at about 55 MPH the entire tank. The 3rd
tank netted an amazing 12.1 MPG probably because of bringing the speed back
down to 52 MPH. The 4th tank was 11.8 also. All in all, pretty good mileage
in my opinion. Things I learned along the way. People are really pro military
these days. Honking and waving all the time. I probably used more air for
the horn than I did for the brakes. Also learned that its nearly impossible
to zip the rear window shut at highway speed. I tore some of the stiching
trying to accomplish such a maneuver. An incredible trip and quite an
adventure. My hats off to Bruce and Tom and I'll be reporting back on the
tractor.
Kenny

PS. after 1015 miles you would think that I would walk away from the truck.
No chance, took the kids to school in it!