My M35-A2:

From: Terry Lane (tlane@mobynet.com)
Date: Tue Apr 15 2003 - 19:10:11 PDT

Well List,
    It was with much anticipation, but I finally got to go get my M35
on Monday at San Diego, Imperial Beach DRMO. It is a late model A2
with all the original data plates (readable& clean)It has the Hercules
Multi-fuel turbo diesel and the turbo has no whistle to it. Stock 9:00
20 tires and duels in the back that look new, but fronts are about 40 %
left.
I checked the oil and nothing on the stick. I added 5 qt.. ? 5 more qt..
still nothing? I added 8 more qt. of oil and finally it read full on the
dip stick. It still had the mil-spec batteries in it with water in them.
Exide 12 volt. (two for 24 volt) The radiator took 1 gallon of coolant
and 2 gallons of water and a pint of radiator conditioner/water pump
lube.
Now it was time to try and fire it off. We jumped one battery and
nothing. Deader than a doornail. We pulled it out of the line and hooked
a HD toe stap to it. My sons Z71 GMC in low-range, and me driving the
duece, it
got oil pressure by toeing it immediately and after about 100 feet it
fired off and belched a puff of black smoke (unburned diesel) and purred
like a diesel tiger! Wow that was too easy! I forgot to mention that the
fuel tank was bone dry as in nada! It also stunk like old paint thinner.
I added 10 gallons of fresh diesel and a qt of Conklin diesel Fuel
conditioner. (it calls for 1 qt per 250 gallons in bulk) The brakes
worked perfect. No leaks apparent, no rust, one little dent on the tail
gate. The tailgate has some rust on the dark side away from the san
diego sun, surface only. It is painted Desert Tan CARC. Should be easy
to repaint the same color if I can match it. I drove it down I-5 monday
afternoon to Carlsbad ca. to a friends shop for storage until it can be
hauled to Reedley Ca. 356 miles to the North on Thursday. My son will
install 2 new batteries form Wally World to get it started for the
trucker and I will have it here on Friday to play with, check all diffs.
tranny, grease etc.
I am a lubes dealer and will put all our lubes in the truck. I will keep
you posted on how it runs down the blvd.---I'm happy, wife thinks I've
lost it but I told her at least I'm not out chasing wild women and
hanging out at the local tavern!----??? I forgot to mention that it has
a cammo HD vinyl soft top, nice quality top. The gauge in the top left
side of the
gauge plate is missing? I don't know which one that is. The hour meter
showed 211 hours and worked. I went 50 miles at 50 MPH by my speedo and
my son said he was following me at 50. It struggled in 5th gear going up
those I-5 grades by Carlsbad (little hills) May be it will do better
once it gets the kinks out.Plus it was raining cats and dogs with wipers
not working!
Wow!
----terry
--1977 Mog 416.114
--19?? M35-A2 ex Navy duece
--M105 trailer
--S280 shelter for sale ($950) 12' by 8' by 8' all aluminum