Re: [MV] crash box transmissions

From: Steve & Jeanne Keith (cckw@attbi.com)
Date: Thu Apr 17 2003 - 12:00:40 PDT

What you said was:

>Later boxes have bevel cut or angle cut gears which mesh with much less
>grinding "crashing" during input.

The implication is that the bevel gears slide which they don't. The dogs
slide and
yes a CCKW crashbox will make bad noises if not double-clutched. The noises
will not be nearly as bad as with the Dodge, Ford, Chev trannys with
straight cut
gears due to the number of teeth or dogs that clash with eash other.

I have both and the CCKW tranny is much easier to double clutch. It is
however
a beach to work on. I can assemble a Chevy tranny blindfolded...

Steve AKA Dr Deuce