Re: [MV] crash box transmissions

From: Fred Martin (mung@in-touch.net)
Date: Thu Apr 17 2003 - 14:34:07 PDT

And while we're on the subject of different gears...the straight cut
gear or it's proper name...involute spur gear, 14 1/2 or 20 degree
pressure angle teeth (two types)...in its meshing with the other
gear...the tooth in contact with a tooth on the second gear is more or
less off the tooth before another tooth comes in contact...made them
more noisy than the later helical cut teeth. The helicals had a couple
of teeth in contact at any given time and another just starting and
another just leaving...made them quieter running and distributed the
load on more than one tooth. Read stronger...Kinda neat when you get to
thinking about it. Just a machinists point of view.
One other comment on the crashbox...I built one for a 57 chevy that the
boys took out to the nationals at Indianapolis and won f stock national
record holder. Our version of a crashbox was...we ground out every other
tooth in the forward gears (as I recall...been 40 years) so you could
just jam it in gear. It ate up a bunch of mounted point grinding stones
in a die grinder and I wouldn't want to do it everyday. Fred Martin