RE: [MV] Local CT DMV says M101A1 9.00-16 military tires not DOT approved - true?

From: J Brennan (brenrock@optonline.net)
Date: Sat Apr 19 2003 - 15:30:17 PDT

CT DMV in general is a pain in regards to military vehicles. Long story
short they would not let me register my 1993 M1038 HMMWV. Their reason,
as per a letter from AM General, it did not meet all FMVSS. When they
asked AM General to clarify AM General said they could not since it was
classified information. Go Figure since I own it. So after 2 years of
numerous phone calls and letters I gave up with CT. As for your tires
Kevin I spoke with a guy in upstate NY last year who had a Saracen who
ran into the same issue. He eventually convinced the local DMV
inspector it was OK. I suggest you go to a different place to have it
inspected if you can, preferably on a Friday afternoon when they want to
get out and go home for the weekend.

John