Re: [MV] Radial Humvee Tires FS

From: Julian Burke (julian@knology.net)
Date: Tue Apr 22 2003 - 06:15:37 PDT

     "Just so everyone knows" about this subject. The Humvee eight bolt
bias rim and the twelve bolt radial rims are pretty much the same wheel.
The difference is the radial rim has more bolts holding the two halves
together for increased protection against separation under SEVERE
circumstances. There is no increased pressure with the radial tire as the
tire pressures are the SAME in the gov't specs-22PSI. The gov't didn't want
the heavier versions under extreme conditions with the "weaker" rims.
     However "just so you know" there are many National Guard units using
radial tires on the bias rims with NO problems. Just so you guys know, did
anyone notice in the latest Iraqi war some of the Humvees had radial tires
on bias rims??? I saw two. I have been doing this for years with no
problems. The bias rims are strong enough for the radial tires and the lips
of the rims appear no different and they hold the tires firmly and securely.
If you have a heavy version and go extreme off-roading then I perhaps do
suggest the heavier rims. If you really want to see the difference, the
civilian rims WITH THE RADIAL TIRES, are not as strong as the bias gov't
rims! I run 34 PSI in all tires both bias and radial for increased balance
and ride as you will never balance a tire at 22 PSI. Check out the civilian
counterpart and you won't find 22 PSI for highway use! Just so we know!
Julian

> Just so you know, those "8 bolt" rims are only suposed to be used with the
> older bias ply tires. The radial tires should only be used on the newer
"12
> bolt" rims. The reason for this is that the "8 bolt" rims have a smaller
lip
> that was designed for the lower tire presures used with the bias ply
tires.
> The lip isn't deep enough to safely retain the bead of the radial tires
when
> fully inflated. When the military switched to the radial tire, they had to
> make a new rim with a deeper lip. You might want to sell the rims and
tires
> separately or put a disclaimer on your current auction about the mismatch.
>

> > List, If interested, I have these complete tires & wheels FS for a
Humvee:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=588&item=2171152726