Re: [MV] Hardware Part Numbers

From: Fred Martin (mung@in-touch.net)
Date: Thu Apr 24 2003 - 00:35:30 PDT

Well, while we're on the subject of threads and the head widths...why
don't we throw in a little more about the head widths, like how to
determine the wrench size for a given bolt size...it's simple...just
look at the threaded part. Its easy to tell a 1/4" or 5/16" or 3/8" bolt
by looking at it (course or fine...makes no difference) ...but did you
know that on your way to get the wrench...you can take 1 1/2 times the
bolt diameter and it is the size wrench you'll need? I think the only
ones it don't work on is 1/4", 5/16" and 7/16". This is mostly for you
occasional or weekend mechanics...the guys that do it everyday can tell
by looking at the hex the correct size. Don't know about the metric
system...does anybody know a easy way for them...besides just looking?
They seem to bug me as I don't work on them everyday. Fred Martin

1/4 x 1 1/2 = 3/8*
5/16 x 1 1/2 = 15/32"*
3/8 x 1 1/2 = 9/16"
7/16 x 1 1/2 = 21/32"*