weekend warriors and weekend MVs

From: Patrick Jankowiak (eccm@swbell.net)
Date: Sun Apr 27 2003 - 21:21:22 PDT

MV-related report from the 2003 annual training for the Texas State
Guard.
-or-
Why re-enact when you can enact.

--------------
M35A2 MILEAGE:
-more MPG info on the M35A2 with LTD465 engine (same as report
before), this is more of the the 'lockout hub mileage improvement
report'

conditions:
50-55 MPH,
S-280 shelter in bed,
15-25 MPH headwind,
payload: 3500 lbs. (shelter's full, sir)

miles:
302.7

Gallons:
37.502

MPG:
8.11

The trip was from Dallas, Texas to Camp Swift, and then some driving
around in Austin. The route was I-35 to Austin. I would only be doing
about 40-45 at the crest of many of the small hills along the way.
This meant quite a bit of getting a run at the hill, and floorboarding
it. If I am at the crest of a hill and still doing 40, I just leave it
in 5th. I only downshift if I am at less than 1500 RPM. The miles
reported do not reflect the entire trip. The purpose of the trip was
Texas State Guard annual training, and so I apologize that I did not
top it off and note the mileage for the remaining 150 miles, but I am
dead tired. I consider this fuel economy under these real-world
conditions to be very satisfactory. I wonder what I would get without
the shelter, pickup-truck-style.

---------
WATCH THE HEAT:
In Texas, even at these mild temps of 90-95 degrees, it's important to
not only hydrate but keep the electrolytes up. Driving an MV 200 miles
from 0730 to 1200, and then setting up radio masts and commo gear
until 1700, without eating or drinking anything except a diet coke
will make you sick. You may not even notice it (because by then, your
brain is not working properly) until you suddenly get dizzy or get a
chest pain. The moral of the story is: don't get so busy with your
work that you literally forget to eat and drink! Thank God for medics.

Everything was set up by Friday Night, and the training was hot and
heavy all day Saturday. The 2nd Brigade ran the event-wide net on the
144 MHz ham band, and my unit, the 19th, had our own net on UHF. My
duty was NCOIC Commo was to see that any traffic to/from the main net
for our commanders was put through. We also monitored the medic net
and the 2nd's admin net. They sent quite a few images over the ham
radio. They are a very capable group.

----------
CONVOY:
Sunday, the entire Texas Guard did a convoy from Camp Swift to camp
Mabry. The lead vehicle was a volunteer fire department vehicle with
lights ablaze, followed by my own sweetie, the M35, and the rest of
the TXG following. Probably annoyed at the 45-50 MPH speed, but that
-is- the way of military convoys. More 'armed pickup trucks' than you
could shake a stick at! HOOAH!

-------------
CEREMONIES:
After the convoy from the training camp (Swift) to Mabry, all Troops
were formed in the field and one Distinguished MG retired, and another
took Command. The Honorable Governor of the state of Texas, Rick
Perry, was indeed there. He arrived as the front seat passenger in
what I beleive was a Chevy Tahoe. Very down to earth man, does not put
on airs. We were all looking for a limo! There was a salute with
multiple firings of a battery of cannon. I did not get a chance to
investigate the cannon, but they were a short-barrel yet
modern-looking type. It was pretty cool having 500 troops saluting the
colors as the National Anthem was played by the 49th Armored Division
Band.

SHOUT-OUTS:
Hi Sarge! it was cool to meet ya!