Re: [MV] GL requiring demil 1 yr after sale

From: Patrick Jankowiak (eccm@swbell.net)
Date: Sun Apr 27 2003 - 22:58:30 PDT

A similar thing happened to me about 10 years ago. I bought part of
some kind of infrared scanning system which came from an aircraft
design. It had a cryogenic system and a CCD and an infrared camera and
a laser, very nice! Big round ball-looking thing. The surplus came
from T.I. It apparently should have never been sold but slipped
through. I had no idea of course, I just bought it at the surplus
store. The guy had about 10 of them. A week after the purchase, I got
a call that they wanted it back. Not the surplus guy, but someone from
T.I.

Since it was legally bought, I named my reasonable price and it was
agreed. How did they know I had it? the surplus dealer told them
everyone's name who had bought them! Here's the strange part. The
person on the phone, after alot of discussion to verify what I
had/thought I had, made an appointment to come get it, and pay up. Two
T.I. engineers and some guy who I suspected was a fed arrived, and the
engineers painstakingly and cleanly removed the CCD array and a board.
The engineers told me they didn't want the rest. I was asked not to
describe the intricate details of what I had seen and sure I agreed,
no problems here. Paid with a check from T.I.

The PRC-127's - that's another story. Nothing secret there, no
forbidden technologies.
If you legally bought them when they were legal to buy, they should be
yours. Perhaps you should offer to sell them back to GL, at a very
reasonable price of $10,000 each. That would almost cover your repair
services, right? I mean, you don't want to be greedy.

Was it a request, or a demand? Stick up for your rights.

What sucks is that the PRC-127 is a cheaply made Bendix-King radio,
which has by the way been crippled so that some functions do not work,
and then labeled as a PRC-127. To change the demill code on those is a
joke, as any of hundreds of models of handheld ham radios can be
modified for the same or better frequency range, and if you want,
crippled suitably as well.

Go ask a lawyer about this, I would suggest.