Towing a 5 ton tractor M52A2

From: JJ&A (W7LS@blarg.net)
Date: Mon Apr 28 2003 - 23:35:20 PDT

Thanks for all the advice on flat towing the tractor behind a M54A2 5
ton cargo truck. What worked just fine for us was to unhook the drag
link that goes from the steering box to the left wheel. That allows the
front end to freely wander back and forth as needed. The steering wheel
would not move, nor would the wheels turn side to side at all. I mean no
steering whatsoever. Used a standard mil towbar and hit the road. Made
40-44 mph, mostly. Tracked just fine. I've heard that deuces won't
track, and I have not tried that. The 5 ton however, was just great.
Towed it 70 miles or so. Jim