MV] M54 injection lines leaking, need help

From: Stuart & Jane Robinson (stalwart@nwlink.com)
Date: Wed Apr 30 2003 - 00:31:01 PDT

On Tuesday, April 29, 2003, at 08:49 PM, Adam Suess wrote:

> I went out and pulled the new lines to look for a crack did not find
> one. I did notice that the tapered end on #3 line was different and
> had bottomed out on its ridge not allowing the taper to fully seat.
> This is the one that was leaking the worst both then and now. But the
> original line should of worked. Still can't get them to seal.
> Tightened them till I broke the line wrench and started rounding the
> corners. Probably still not tight enough??. The line wrench wasn't
> that strong. Thanks for the help.
>>
>> They need to be really tight. Can't give you a torque spec, but
>> 'gootentight'
>> works.

I TOTALLY disagree, these lines should NEVER be tightened very tight!
You will distort the sealing surface and then you must throw the lines
away since they usually don't have the necessary tubing to make a new
flare. Snug is good and if they leak, a slight additional torque
should cure the problem. Tighter is NOT better, they will leak for
sure! As I recall for MS flareless and AN flared lines, finger tight
and about 1/8 to 1/4 turn. BUT, then again it's YOUR vehicle . . .

Stuart and Jane Robinson
Alvis Scorpion CVR(T)
Fox CVR(W)
3-Alvis Stalwart Mk 2