Re: [MV] MV] M54 injection lines leaking, need help

From: Nathan Wilkens (nathan.wilkens@asu.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 30 2003 - 08:04:18 PDT

This reminds me of an injection leak problem I had with my CUCV. I made the
mistake of having a shop install a rebuilt injection pump on my M1009 CUCV,
and at first all seemed to be OK. Then, on a trip up to the San Juan
Mountains in Colorado, on an 11,000+ft pass, I noticed a sharp drop in
power, lots of smoke and a very strong smell of diesel. When I pulled over,
I discovered that one of the injection line connectors had hemorrhaged.
Fortunately, it was just reachably without having to remove the intake
manifold, so I tightened it back up... but no matter how tight I got it, it
continued to drip for another 1000 miles until I got home, and took the
intake manifold off....
It turns out, that the injection line was bent at just enough of an angle
that it's tapered end wasn't seating right, so I re-bent the curve to be
less severe and meet the injector pump connector on a straight line, and
voila! it easily retightened, and has had no leaks since....
Makes me wonder if your problem isn't related to the injector lines not
seating correctly, since if they are seating correctly, it shouldn't really
have to be overly tight to make a good seal.
Nathan Wilkens
86 M1009 CUCV