Re: [MV] 6volts from 12 or 12v from 24 volts

From: Jim Newton (jnewton@laurel.com)
Date: Wed Apr 30 2003 - 23:26:38 PDT

Hi All...

Just this afternoon I had the occasion to use 7805s and 7812s to build
a power supply for a 2 amp load (a Cub Scouts Pinewood Derby track
finish line system...is a Pinewood Derby car considered an MV? The
Boy Scouts are a paramilitary organization, after all!) and it worked
fine.

My input voltage was 18.5 VDC at 3.5 amps\, so I hooked up 2 7812
(12-volt) regulators in parallel (each similar pin connected), then
took the output of those and ran it into 2 7805 (5-volt) regulators
which were also in parallel. Common ground for all center leads.
Worked great, but the voltage may fluctuate as the two 78xxs in each
pair fight each other. Who cares?

Remember the formula "VAW" (like the LAW of electricity but with a V
for volts) when working with electricity...

  V * A = W (Volts x Amps = Watts)

You can calculate a lot of stuff with this simple formula.

With the 78xx regulators, the voltage drop that you get can be plugged
into your formula. If you are dropping 24 volts to 12 volts and you
drive a 1 amp load, your formula would be:

  (24 - 12) x 1 = 12 Watts

Your 7812 will be giving off 12 watts of heat!

If you hook up a 7805 (the 5-volt version) to your deuce's 24-volt
power source, your formula would be as follows:

  24 - 5) x 1 = 19 Watts

19 Watts is a lot of heat! That's gonna cook a 7805 pretty quick.

7806 regulators are a little harder to find than the 5 or 12 volt
versions, but they are available as Dave says.