Re: Vapor lock on mutts).

From: Muttguru@aol.com
Date: Wed May 07 2003 - 13:24:18 PDT

Dear Listers,

try as I might, I couldn't resist adding my two pennyworth here.

There really should not be any vapor-lock problems on any version of the
M151. The vehicle was designed and tested to operate perfectly reliably
across a wide range of temperatures and climates.

If your mutt is having vapor-lock problems, then there are several reasons
why this can happen, namely:-

1. Fuel lines routed wrong, especially around engine, allowing lines to get
hot;
2. Support clips for fuel lnes missing/incorrect around engine, allowing
lines to get hot;
3. Canvas covering missing from metal fuel lines (it is there for a good
reason);
4. Gasket between carb and inlet manifold not the correct one, or missing
entirely, allowing excessive heat transfer to carb.

Other faults that may appear to be vapor-lock (but aren't):-
5. Carb float level incorrect;
6. Valves in mechanical fuel pump (A2 series) allowing fuel to siphon back;
7. Diaphragm in mechanical pump brittle or perforated, allowing fuel to leak
into sump;
8. Gasket incorrect or missing entirely between mechanical fuel pump and
engine block, with similar results as in (4) above.
9. Internally collapsed rubber fuel hoses;
10. Kinked, crushed or cracked metal fuel lines, restricting fuel flow or
allowing air to enter lines.

One problem that I witnessed was so unusual and unexpected that it is worth
mentioning just to keep in mind as a "tried everything else" solution. Years
ago we had a mutt that would start and run great, then after maybe 20 miuts
or so, it would cough and splutter and eventually cut out. 10 minutes later,
it would start up and never cause a problem for a couple of days, then, same
again. Just as we got to the brink of "curing" the mutt once and for all with
a sledge-hammer, we decided to take the tank out and swirl the fuel out. When
the fuel was poured from the filler neck, out came a small piece of paper. It
was the brown tar-paper material, and every now and then, it would get sucked
up to the tank outlet and restrict the fuel flow. we never ha that trouble
again until I bought my M151A2, only to discover that someone had left the
plastic cap from an aerosol can floating around the tank. We may just have
been unlucky, but it certainly is worth checking out the contents of your
fuel tank if you have tried everything else.

Don't accept "vapor-lock" as a fact of mutt-ownership... it isn't.

Help stamp out vapor-lock.... keep to that Preventive Maintenance schedule !!

Kind regards.....
Ken