M35-A2-dies:

From: Terry Lane (tlane@mobynet.com)
Date: Wed May 07 2003 - 20:30:46 PDT

Hello List,
    Again, I want to thank all that replied to my truck situation. It
really is great to have such a wealth of knowledge here on this great
list
of "comrades", and I do say that sincerely,. I got home from work today
and drained the fuel tank, 45 gallons worth. I had just enough 5 gallon
fuel jugs to do the job with my okie credit card. I removed the
lines/connectors and then removed the fuel cage assembly containing the
electric fuel pump so i could see into the tank. What a mess, full of
tiny rust particles, medium rust particles, large rust particles etc. I
think the main line all the way to the filters, etc. are all full of
this crap even though I changed all the filters. They are all probably
contaminated again and possibly the fuel injector pump also, but I hope
not.
    I am going to remove the fuel tank, take it to my radiator shop, and
have it boiled out completely. I will then seal it with POR-17 epoxy
tank sealer to stop any rust from forming, repaint the tank etc. I will
then replace all filters again after blowing out fuel line back to tank
connection and clean thuroughly.Clean up electric fuel pump cage (all
rusty) remove rust from pickup screen and start over with clean fuel.
The fuel was so full of rust particles I couldn't see through it.I will
filter it out and run it in my Massey Ferguson tractor. I am a
(peach/nectarine/plum) farmer. After I finish all this I will post what
takes place as to if it solved the problem or not.
     I think my truck went through a depot rebuild and then sat for a
long time, causing the fuel tank to rust like it did. It was never run
or finished after the rebuild. It said on the door of the truck, it was
towed into Imperial Beach for GL sale from San Diego because it would
not run.
I will start on it thios weekend and keep all updated as to how my
diagnosis works.---thanks for the band width,----terry lane
Ex USArmy Reserves 1970-76 (old now)
--M35-A2 (in sick ward)
--1977 Unimog 416.114 diesel mog
--M105-A2 trailer
PRC-77 with PP770 range booster (amp) (will install in duece)
RT-524 base rig with dual RT-442's