Rear pinion flange leaks

From: Steve & Jeanne Keith (cckw@attbi.com)
Date: Sat May 10 2003 - 10:10:46 PDT

I have one 1.5 ton WW2 Chevy that has a leak on the rear pinion.
The GO actually comes down the splines and out! I just replaced the
U-joint flange with a different one as the original was still loose when
the nut was tightened all the way. I assumed that it was worn on the
inner end. That one also leaked on the splines and the outer seal.

Could the pinion shaft splines be worn? If so, from what? The new
flange is at least tight when the nut is tightened. According to the manuals
there is/are no gaskets or other procedures to seal the splines.

Steve AKA Dr Deuce