PRC-25, 77 additional info

From: Dave Brubaker (b52d@piace.com)
Date: Mon May 12 2003 - 14:49:56 PDT

I bought some of those and they last about 20 or so hours of monitor time
about 15 or so if you use them pretty steady.
They last a lot longer if you put them in the refrigerator! To warm them up
for use, put them in the PRC-25 or 77 and push the on switch over to light
and you will see the light get stronger. Once it steadies out you are good
to go.

I also invested in a battery tester, that helps weed out the useless ones,
you can punch it right through the plastic storage bag to plug in and test.

There is a guy on e-bay selling battery adapters for these radios that uses
D cell batteries. One of our club members has one of these and is very
pleased with the results. I do not have any time ranges for use that I can
share.

We have a place here in town that makes up custom battery packs for radios,
RC and other hobbies. He can reproduce the battery in nicad or nickel metal
hydride or just about any other medium. These can be charged with something
as simple as an RC charger or airsoft gun battery charger.

While initial cost might be a bit pricey, the long lifespan of a NiMH
battery might well be worth the investment.

Dave
David & Donna Brubaker
Member MVPA #18115
M-151A2