Re: [MV] M35A2 Operation Questions

From: jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Date: Tue May 13 2003 - 18:43:19 PDT

>Novice operator needs help:
>
>q. I start it with the accessory switch on, but it
>runs with the switch off? How come? Am I suppose to
>leave it on or turn it off after starting? Manual
>doesn't say.

Diesels do not need electricity to run. In most car and truck diesels they
actually add an electric solenoid to shut it down. The military and some
large trucks and construction equipment they do not use the solenoid, they
just connect a T handle cable to the pumps shutdown lever. If you are
running the engine then you should have the ignition (or accessory) switch
on as the alternator will not put out anything if it's off, also things like
your low air buzzer will not work either.

>q. What is the max "safe" RPM?

You cannot overspeed the engine with the throttle pedal, you can overspeed
the engine if say going down a steep hill and let it run away, or by doing a
bad downshift. The injection pump is internally governed but external forces
such as those two situations I mentioned can cause an over speed. Basically
you do not want these engines to run over 2800 RPM.

>q. On turbo fuel injection does it prime engine if I
>pump the throttle pedal before starting as it would
>for a carburetted gasoline engine?

No, it does nothing other than wear out the throttle shaft and linkage sooner.

What you can do for starting is to hold the pedal partially down if it's
cold or cooler out, Diesels like to start rich. Pumping does nothing,
NOTHING. But if you just push the pedal about half way down then crank, and
as soon as the engine catches then let off the pedal unless it needs alittle
faster idle then you can bump it up a little with pedal or hand throttle
till it runs smooth.

>q. How long do you idle the engine before shut down?

Depends on how hard you've been running. If I just hopped in and drove over
the the sub shop for lunch, which is limping along at 25mph, I don't wait at
all. If I've just come off the highway running at 50mph then I'll let it sit
for a a few minutes, maybe 5, depends on what my load was and how hot it is out.

later,

je