Re: [MV] M35 air buzzer question

From: James Shanks (n1vbn@bit-net.com)
Date: Sat May 17 2003 - 11:15:32 PDT

Bobby and Sean and all other deuce owner/drivers,

Even though in most States we do not have to have a CDL drivers license to
drive these vehicles on the road they do have to pass inspection and SAFETY
requires the Low Air Pressure Warning Device's work as originally
installed. This means you have to have an operational Low Air Pressure
Light and Buzzer. If the low air buzzer annoys you it is just doing it's
job properly. Even though in most States we can register the Deuce as a
Historical Vehicle lets say due to no fault of your own some little old
Lady stares at your Deuce coming down the road and forgets to stop at the
stop sign she just drove through and finally stops right in front of your
Deuce. I would say it would be a fair assumption because of the size of the
vehicle ignoring the Historical Plates on it the local Officers would call
in the State Troopers to inspect the truck and make sure everything is on
the up and up mechanical wise. Why would they do that? Because it has "AIR
BRAKES". The average Police Officer doesn't have the training to properly
inspect and verify all is in order.

         Just imagine the inspecting Officer going through the
drill.........HUH??>>>>>>>>>>>Hymmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm??? Whats this?? You the
owner Sir? Your vehicle failed the post accident inspection sir. WHY? No
operative low air pressure warning buzzer or operative low air pressure
light sir. Sir it is the law on all air braked highway vehicles that they
both be working before they are driven on public roads.

         End result of the little fictional story is you are at fault 100%
because of "DEFECTIVE EQUIPMENT".

         If the buzzer bothers you get and kick the tires looking for
low/flat ones and check your lights for proper operation. I do it because
the Law states I have to as I drive a commercial vehicle and I like to know
before I head down the road that my brake lights work, my turn signals
work....etc>>>

         Besides if everything with the air system is correct an M-35A2
will shut off the low air buzzer in less than 120 seconds
average.......................think about it guys don't YOU want to know
before you hit the brake pedal you are losing your air pressure reserve??

I will NOT leave my soapbox on this....it's just too damn important.

James Shanks
n1vbn@bit-net.com
1998 IMZ 8.103
1984 H-D FLHT-C