Private MV and CDLs (Was M35 buzzers)

From: Glenn Shaw (shaw.glenn@verizon.net)
Date: Mon May 19 2003 - 10:03:46 PDT

Hi

Great topic.

Motorhomes, campers etc regardless of size are NOT considered
trucks/commercial type vehicles by definition. They are exempt in all
states from the CDL requirement. Check with FMCA for more details. I know
its crazy that a 88 year old guy who can hardly walk or see is driving a
huge Prevost rear pusher bus towing a 40 foot trailer on a basic Class D
passenger MV license but thats the case.

 To get a vehicle classified as a camper (M109 shop van :) ) you have to
put certain equipment in the vehicle permanently. It had better be in there
when the truck team looks at it after an accident.

 Vehicles defined as commercial type motor vehicles regardless how they are
used, require CDL if the weight is high enough, We have seen many cases go
to court against people who dont get this point. Easy to prosecute. Full
Air brakes have certain requirements which may or may not have changed in
some states. I had not heard that the air brake endorsement is out but it
still is in here in MA for FULL air systems. Doubles, triples, tank
vehicles, haz mat etc. all require endorsements.

 ANY tractor with a fifth wheel requires a Class A CDL automatically.
Essentially the only thing that a private owned vehicle ** not in commercial
service** does not require is the DOT materials, medical card, log book etc.
Commercial size and type trucks not in actual commercial operations (eg.
private only) technically can pass weigh stations but in reality if you look
like a truck that should be stopping if you are in commercial service, they
may/will send a chase car after you. Wont be happy after that. If you stop
they will determine you are private/non-commercial and send you on your way,
unless your truck looks like it may have safety problem. I just wanted to
add to this thread which is very interesting to us. I have been in LE for
30 years now and perform this enforcement in the state of MA. We also work
in tandem with DOT feds in truck stops. Get the Class B CDL or Class A if
you have a tractor. It is cheap insurance and demonstrates to LE officials
you are a competent driver. Your civil defense counsel and insurance co
will love you too after an accident. It puts a lot of civil attack to rest
right away when you are litigated against. We hope it never will happen but
it does sometimes.

Keep em rolling

Glenn
MVPA