Re: [MV] Private MV and CDLs (Was M35 buzzers)

From: Glenn Shaw (shaw.glenn@verizon.net)
Date: Tue May 20 2003 - 05:40:10 PDT

Hi
>their State of licensure to determine the licensing provisions to
>which they are subject.
>
>You state it above. Confer with your State DMV. All the states are not
the
>same exactly. They are similar.

Right, above is the Federal regs. State regs tend to adhere to the
federal. That's how they get the additional Transportation funds.

For example, firemen in georgia drive their big trucks with a class B
or A license, non commercial. I can get one of those too.

To Show how the states are very different, Fireman and their firetrucks
including big TT 120 foot ladder trucks are exempt by statute in MA.
However most Fire Departments have their men get the Class A or B just to
have the extra credibility.

Again in Ma and most states I know of in the Northeast you only have Class D
private auto/light truck and Class A B and C licenses which can be used as a
CDL in comm service or to drive a private vehicle non comm. It makes it
simple. I think you will find your state going to this eventually to be in
line with the rest of the country. You dont need 2 Class A licenses to
accompish all the goals of the regs.

>If you're not subject to the FMCSA then you don't need a CDL unless
>your state says you do.

>AND MA does. Most states also do so. It is in the public interest to have
>drivers of heavy commercial type vehicles be qualified and having a CDL
>helps to show this. License classes in most states are A B C D with no
>reference to non CDL except for class D. Commercial/private issue just
>triggers the Commercial Motor Vehicle Regs for DOT regulated operations.

Actually, Georgia makes a differentiation with a CDL tag next to the
A, B or C class. Ideally its in the interest of the federal
transportation (and thus federal perview) for safety in interstate
commerce. My driving a vehicle for non commercial purposes isn't
commerce any more than grandpa driving his 55 foot motor coach.

No argument there.

Only if I'm commercial. I'd carry the FMCSA regs, clarifications and
additional errata for the Trooper to look over.

Good luck on that one/ I am sure he will be impressed with you loaning him
lawbooks etc.

>The big point here is it is easy to get the license to drive private
trucks.
>To not have the right papers when needed on the side of the road can be a
>nightmare. The officers are not going to set up a debating society in the
>gutter.

Hopefully they don't waste my time and theirs with trying to apply
regs to me that don't apply.

Dont try that argument in MA. It will not be a fun day. They will expect
you to comply with MA law as most states will in their state. I guess the
point to all this is you need to understand that all states are not the same
on this subject. You have to be prepared for where ever you intend to
drive. The CDL is accepted everywhere.

Glenn

--
Ryan Gill