CUCV Fuel filter bases

From: Neil E. Amrhein (neil@compu-powr.com)
Date: Thu May 22 2003 - 06:50:04 PDT

List,
    I had a leak coming from around my fuel filter on my CUCV. I determined
that the source of the leak was the pressure switch in the filter base, so I
replaced the O-ring with a new one from a fellow list member. That seemed to
fix the problem, but it was, apparently, not a permanent fix. Now, either
the switch is leaking, or the O-ring is leaking again, and I really don't
want to have to mess with this problem anymore in the future.
    I did some research and found that, in the spirit of the glow-plug relay
setup, the military continued to use this early (and troublesome) style
throughout the CUCV production, even though GM re-designed the setup. GM
issued a TSB for these early-style filter bases, instructing technicians on
how to remove the pressure switch and tap the hole to accept a screw or
bolt.
    Has anyone ever done this on their truck? It seems like an awful lot of
work, when I could probably swap on a civilian equivalent filter base and
fix the problem. I have not yet closely compared the CUCV filter base to the
one on my civilian '88 6.2, but I cannot imagine that I could not use a
civilian one on the CUCV. Any thoughts?

    Thanks,
    --Neil