Squirrelly Steering & Mess Kit Question

From: Horrocks, Aaron (ACHb@pge.com)
Date: Thu May 22 2003 - 15:33:16 PDT

Well, I got my Jeep running a bit better, and we replaced the distributor and screwed around with the timing. #3 still isn't firing. I'm going to see if new plugs fixes that. It's hard to tell how fast (or slow) she's driving, without a speedometer cable, but our best guess was topping out at 45~50.

A bunch of guys loaded up in the jeep, and we went cruisin' down a country road. Now, when the passengers start saying "woah" and "boy the steering is loose" it's not something that I can pass off. I've already rebuilt the steering box, and I though it was in fair condition, but perhaps not. I get +/- about three degrees of play when going down the road before the wheels will catch the steering. Should I automatically say "it's the worm drive?" or should I also do down to the jeep dealership and run her over the scuff meter? Where can I get new worms?

Not really MV related: US-stamped mess kit utensils have a big eyehole at the handle end. I discovered these are PERFECT bottle openers! the cap pops off sooo easily, and in one try... Is this a total coincidence, or is it designed like that?

Aaron Horrocks
1952 M38A1