Gillespie vs Aervoe, some results

From: Jim (gadget@easypath.com)
Date: Fri May 23 2003 - 08:57:16 PDT

My Experience: Gillespie vs. Aervoe

Disclaimer: I am not a painting professional, and only have these two
experiences to compare. I read labels, asked questions, try various
settings, and I practiced on lots of scrap before I painted these vehicles.
The results are very different, and I attribute them entirely to the paint.

Gillespie used: Non-CARC '383' Forest Green
  Thinner: Xylene, about 4.5:1
  Conditions: Outdoors, upper 60's dry weather
  Recipient: 1971 M35A2 W/W (originally faded 3-color camo)

Aervoe used: Non-CARC '992G" Flat Marine Green (WWII)
  Thinner: Aervoe slow thinner, about 4.5:1
  Conditions: Indoors, lower 60's rainy weather
  Recipient: 1944 MB (originally a semi-gloss Navy gray)

Equipment used: DeVilbis Finishline HVLP suction gun. 70psi fed to gun by
compressor regulator, cut further by gun regulator to about 20psi for Arevoe
and about 24psi for Gillespie.

Initial results: Gillespie is the hands down winner

Details:
  In the can, the Aervoe and Gillespie paints seemed to have settled the
same amount. During stirring with an electrc drill and mixer the Gillespie
became a syrupy unified mixture and all the solids appeared to have come
loose from the bottom, well mixing into the paint. The Aervoe never mixed
fully, and with even twice the mixing time spent (almost 10 minutes) the
darker swirls contained unmixed solids that kept coming loose from the
bottom. I never did get the bottom of the can feeling as clean as the
Gillespie. The mixture itself was less impressive too. While the Gillespie
felt like a smooth mixture of "melted" solids in a solvent, the Aervoe felt
and looked more like sand stirred up in a can of oil. I felt if I didn't
hurry to pour, the settling would begin. The Aervoe is a thinner paint than
the Gillespie and did not have a nice smooth consistency.
  In the spray gun, on the first coat, I'd say the paints were similar.
Coverage was better with the Aervoe, but that was likely due to the much
darker color over gray. On the second coat, the Aervoe was being absorbed
like I was painting dry wood. The first coat was so dry and powdery, it just
sucked in the paint during round 2. I ended up putting a very heavy 2nd (and
final) coat on with the Aervoe since to spray it any lighter would have left
me guessing where I had just sprayed. It dried instantly when sprayed thin.
I tried various solvent percentages, but had the same results with rapid
absorption by the first coat of Aervoe. The Gillespie paint was much
different. Through all 4 layers I put on, each coat was thin and looked like
it was sitting on the earlier layer of paint, rather than being absorbed by
it. In this respect, I'd say the Gillespie is easier to put on, and allows
better layer thickness control.
  The final product is hard to tell right now. The Aervoe takes 72 hours to
fully dry according to the can. With the heavy second coat, I'd want to give
it that time anyway. The Arevoe left a lot of loose paint powder behind, it
looks like it's going to need a good wash when it's dry. The Gillespie
didn't do this. Well, there was a little...but nothing like this. The loose
powder can come from improper gun setup, but this wasn't the case. I tried
several different settings but got the same powdery overspray.

Conclusion:
  Gillespie appears to be a well integrated mixture which leaves behind a
colored plastic film. A film of molecules stuck to themselves as well as to
your vehicle. Aervoe appears to be a mix of colored powder in some kind of
thinned glue. The two are not integrated well. When it dries only the sticky
powder attaches to your vehicle. It seems likely the Aervoe would weather
much faster than the Gillespie due to the fact it it's powder rather than a
film like the Gillespie is.

An aside:
  The MB is to undergo a frame-off resto sometime in the next couple years.
The MB was Navy gray and my Dad, a former Marine, didn't really like it. The
Aervoe just had to buy us some time. Thank goodness he parks it in a garage!

Recommendations:
  Instead of pouring the Aervoe over gravel, maybe the Aervoe could be
poured directly on the ground and small round rocks could be set into the
wet paint. When dry, it would give the illusion of a military green stream
with lovely river bed rocks......

Jim