[MV] 24v/12v dual alternators

From: D O (dohe69@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri May 23 2003 - 20:25:34 PDT

I finally finished (almost) my project, running both a 24 and a 12 volt
delco alternator. Sorry to any purists out there :-). I got the truck home
on a 450 mile trip with the original alternator out of it about 3 weeks ago.
  Made it home just before dark, only turned on the lights when in town and
needing brake lights/turn signals. No need for such things on the highway
with a top speed of 56!

After getting sticker shock for a rebuilt alternator, I decided to fab up a
bracket for a Delco 24v. Cheap and available, easy to get fixed/replaced if
you have a breakdown. Also, since I plan to use the truck as a camper (van
box) I also wanted 12v power source so I can use readily available
appliances. Again, sticker shock with the 24/12 converters in the higher
amperage ratings. The local parts house/automotive electrical rebuilders
found me a 3 groove pulley for the 24v Delco, which I run the 12v alternator
from. The 12v is mounted directly above the 24v. Trouble is, with the
multifuel engine there is no spare bosses around for a clean mount, so I had
to anchor everything from the 3 bolts at the bottom of the block where the
original alternator bracket goes. Anyhow, after some heavy duty bracing it
all worked out, though I have to move the 12 volt alternator a tad forward
to get the belt running straight yet. Will work on that this weekend. Just
got it done tonight, didn't have time to fab up a liscence plate bracket but
wanted to drive it, so I just temporarily hung the plate from tie wraps.
Filled the tank, checked mileage for the 450 mile trip, was 7.75 mpg, more
or less what I expected. Got lots of looks, smiles, complements, etc in
such a short trip for a refuel!

If anyone is interested in doing something similar, sorry I don't have a
digital camera but can explain it more. Very time consuming using only a
chop saw, bench grinder, drill press, and welder, but now that it is almost
done I am very happy. I like the idea of having a completely separate
electrical system for add-ons. Now, after some maintenance, the plans start
for solar panels, camper appliances, lockers, ????????????????????