Re: [MV] M35 Tweeking, no it's compensator time

From: GOTAM35 (gotam35@sc.rr.com)
Date: Sat May 24 2003 - 20:48:42 PDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bill & Bonnie Prestin" <bprestin@chartermi.net>

> When I bought my LDS465-1A engine, it came as a Gov. rebuilt engine in
> the can. One of the tags hanging on the engine said "use diesel fuel only"
> because the compensator had been by-passed. It also came with a sealed bag
> of fittings and small pieces of tubing with a set of directions on how to
> un-bypass the compensator. "in case of the need for use of alternate
fuels"

> Bill
> Michigan

I like to think of myself as a mechanical genius. I'm the only person that
thinks that, but that's OK. At any rate, one of the engines I have has the
same by-passed compensator. I have been studying it and the one in my
truck, which is not by-passed, and I can't see how the rearranging of the
fuel lines would affect the performance of the fuel. Doe's anyone know of a
source for a detailed explanation of how all this works? Has anyone on the
list here put a page on their web site with a little diagram or explanation?
This is just a curiosity thing, but some of the mechanics I have talked to
suggest removing the compensator all together. I like having the option to
run alternative fuels if I get in a pinch but is that really likely? (I
don't know, that's why there's a question mark at the end of that sentence)

Joe Trapp