Re: [MV] Why I own an M35A2

From: Employee@MilVeh.com
Date: Mon May 26 2003 - 20:26:16 PDT

Great story. Made me feel good. That's the way it
should be too. (also gave me an idea, please read on)

[My town: Chico, California a small, but growing
college town of about 100,000 pop]

Last month: Vets were turned down to fly American
flags on the light poles on our main street to show
our support for our troops in Iraq. Three of the
council including our lady Mayor voted it down,
despite many pleas from voters.

The Mayor said and I am paraphrasing, "If we fly the
flags too much that would not be right, it would in
effect lessen their impact and we've already set aside
certain dates they should be flown."

For years we have no Memorial Day events sponsored by
our city. We've never had a Memorial Day Parade to my
recollection since WWII.

The only major public events that ever honor vets seem
to happen when some folks take it upon themselves to
just do it, like the VA/Vets Workshop. However, it's
not all that easy to get local MV'ers to come around
because we have this reputation for being a little
Berkeley. I suppose to a certain extent that is true,
since we've got our share of wacked out,
psycho-babble, nasty looking America-haters, cheerful
defenders of terrorist causes and terrorist
organizations (those would be our college professors).

It's my understanding the local MVCC vowed never to
return to Chico following an ugly incident when they
tried to show their MV's. Maybe enough time has
passed to let that one go?

We've held other MV events since and its been well
received, although only one grade school class of
about 25 has ever attended one of our historic events
and we have literally thousands of grade school kids
here. That one 4th grade class loved the MV's and it
went over great for kids and MV owners alike, but like
I said, they were the first and last kids to show up.

Chico is a beautiful place in many respects and there
are a lot of fine people here, but we've let the
leftist screwballs take over, mostly because they are
so pushy and well organized. We're just individuals
doing our thing, working and worried about paying
bills and it takes a lot for us to mount an offensive.

Now comes my pitch. (Ah, you knew I was leading up to
something didn't you? lol) I want things to be
different next year. You bet! I want us hold a
veterans day parade, but if we can't get that far,
then it would sure be nice for us to set up an MV camp
somewhere in the thousands of acres of park land we
own or possibly at our airport and invite thousands of
the public to visit our rolling history. If you live
anywhere near Chico, California and you would be
willing to help this community jumpstart its
patriotism please contact me.

I would guess it would take 40 - 50 MV's to make it
work and draw enough public. Then add in some Army
tents, camo netting setups, some period uniforms,
displays, etc. Hey, I think this could be fun and
very rewarding.

If you would be willing to come I would be willing to
go before the council, get a game plan, secure the
grounds and likely get some funding from the council
for advertisement. Chico is always looking for a way
to draw tourism here, so they might just look very
favorably on this effort... if it was presented right.

I'll repost this again in a few days and put it up on
the website and contact the local MVCC to get things
started.

Cheers, Jack Lee