Re: [MV] French aircraft carrier (some history)

From: Ryan M Gill (rmgill@mindspring.com)
Date: Fri May 30 2003 - 16:10:53 PDT

At 4:49 PM -0400 5/30/03, SkyChrgr1@aol.com wrote:
> >If you look at the price of luxury yahts for sale this would be a steal!!
>>Yes,you would have to civilianize it but just think of the
>>possibilities...... On the other hand...it's French,so get used to being
>>laughed and pointed at when your at
>>harbor!
>
> This one is actually a famous British carrier from WWII. If anyone
>knows about F4U Corsair history, they know that the US Navy ordered
>the Corsair
>initially be used only from land bases (i.e. Blacksheep Squadron, etc). It
>was the British that perfected the use of the Corsair from aircraft carriers
>while US Navy & Marines were slogging it out from dirt strips on the South
>Pacific Islands. The USS Vengeance was one of only two or three
>major carriers in

Not USS in the RN. HMS.

More details.

Colossus class light fleet aircraft carriers
Displacement: 18,300 tons full load
Dimensions: 630 x 80 x 23 feet/192 x 24.4 x 7 meters
Extreme Dimensions: 695 x 80 x 23 feet/211.8 x 24.4 x 7 meters
Propulsion: Steam turbines, 4 boilers, 2 shafts, 40,000 shp, 25 knots
Crew: 1300
Armor: none
Armament: 6 quad 2 pound AA, up to 32 20 mm AA or 12-21 40 mm AA
Aircraft: 37

Concept/Program: A mass-production carrier, between the fleet and
escort types in capability, designed for rapid production in all
shipyards, especially merchant yards and yards without recent carrier
construction experience. New construction to this design was
selected after consideration of several alternatives, including
conversion of existing fast warship and/or merchant hulls. Most of
these ships were completed too late to see significant WWII service,
but many saw extensive postwar service in foreign navies.

Design: The design was kept simple and easy-to-build. Single
hangar, no armor, light AA armament only; the ships used cruiser-type
machinery.

Variations: Early ships completed with 20 mm guns, but later units
had the more effective 40 mm instead. Two ships were completed as
aircraft maintenance vessels, with no ability to operate aircraft.
These ships were 26,265 tons full load.

Modifications: These ships underwent a variety of modifications
during the postwar years, as detailed in the individual entries.

Operational: Several deployed to the Pacific late in the war but did
not see significant combat operations. Postwar the ships were
employed in a variety of roles: first-line combat carriers, trials
ships of various sorts, training carriers, etc.

Departure from Service/Disposal: All of these ship left RN service
(as carriers) prior to 1960. Several were sold for service in
foreign navies (and some of these were extensively updated); one was
converted as a repair ship and retained by RN. The ships which were
not transferred to foreign nations or converted within RN were
quickly scrapped.

Vengeance
71 - R64 - 71 - R71
"Q"

Built by Swan Hunter. Laid down 16 Nov 1942, launched 23 Feb 1944,
commissioned 15 Jan 1945.

Served in the Mediterranean, then in the Pacific. RN designation
changed to R64 circa 1945 for service in the Pacific; returned to
previous designation postwar. Participated in cold-weather trials in
the Arctic 1948-49; troop transport and aircraft ferry 1951-52.
Designation changed to R71 under NATO designation system. Refitted
early 1950's and loaned to Australia 13 November 1952 as HMAS
Vengeance .

In Australian service she initially served as a training carrier,
then a first-line carrier starting late 1953, then returned to
training in 1954. Decommissioned and returned to RN 13 Aug 1955 and
placed in reserve upon return.

Sold to Brazil 12 Dec 1956; underwent extensive refit at Rotterdam
6/1957-12/1960: angled deck added, new elevators installed, new
island, all new aircraft operations and support equipment and
electronics outfit; carried 10 40 mm guns. Recommissioned 6 December
1960 as Minas Gerais (A11 ). First operated as a strike/ASW
carrier, then as an ASW-only ship.

Refitted 1976-1980 but laid up 1987 due to catapult problems.
Refitted 1991-1993, recommissioned 10/1993; catapult repaired by
1996. During the 1990's operated only ASW helicopters, due to lack of
suitable fixed-wing aircraft. Mistral SAM fitted to replace AA guns
in 1994. Scheduled to serve through 2003.

http://www.hazegray.org/navhist/carriers/uk_light.htm#r71

--
--
- Ryan Montieth Gill                         '01 Honda Insight -