Re: Fuel tank- and more

From: Richard (metal@fullwave.com)
Date: Sat May 31 2003 - 23:33:46 PDT

Caleb,

If you have someone who knows rigging,
the job could be done with not much more
than chains and a come-along; or just about
any winch, pickup or ATV type. Might take
an hour or two. Ya just have to have the donor
truck a couple inches higher than the receiving
truck, and pull it over onto the new truck. Drive
the donor up on some old lumber if need be.

If you don't have a come-along, you can inch
it over with pikes or crow-bars. It'll take
time, but it'll get there. I've seen 20,000 lb
horizontal boring mills moved 50 feet across
a shop with nothing but a pair of crowbars.
Half-inch at a time....dit...dit...dit....<g>

I don't think a forklift would like handling
a 12-14' truck bed. Of course, there are
some pretty big forklifts out there....but
I'm assuming you're thinking of a regular
warehouse type. That probably won't cut
it. Overhanging-load problem...

A big wheel-loader, like a Cat 980, could
do it no problem. If both trucks can be
driven, arrange to meet at a place where
they have a big wheel-loader or excavator.
Friendly gravel-pit guy or something...

Obviously though, a crane-truck is the best
answer <g>

Assuming the bed weighs 2,000 lbs (I'm
guessing here), then any crane-truck rated
8-ton or more, and with 20' or more of reach,
ought to work OK. My little Hiab can lift 2,500
lbs out at a 16' radius....a bit light and short for
this job, but I could probably do it, with a little
rigging. Anyway, that's a pretty small crane...only
a "4-ton". Most commercial crane services
have much larger cranes.

If I didn't have a crane truck, I'd use an
excavator. Anything of 25,000 lb class
or larger ought to handle it. My 70,000
lb excavator is rated to lift 18,000 lbs
from the bucket, and it has a reach of 30',
at about 15' in the air.

Hey, Caleb, no matter what method you use,
get a guy who knows rigging and who's known
to "work safe" to help ya. It is so damn easy
to lose a finger, or worse, doing this stuff.

TAKE YOUR TIME...and think through every
move before you do it. Where might it fall?
Make sure nobody's in that spot/direction!
etc. etc..

Most places, you can find a guy with a medium
sized crane-truck who'll bring it over for
$50-70/hour....and if you've got the beds all
unbolted and ready to move when he gets there,
I can't see it taking more than 30-60 minutes.

Good luck!

Richard

--
www.OregonStone.Com