Convoy Coms

From: Tim Scherrer (soldierboy440@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Jun 02 2003 - 06:39:10 PDT

I would have to second the word on FRS radios being
for the most part useless. What we saw on the WWII
convoy was they worked maybe a span of 10 vehicles,
but beyond that they were worthless, and I was dealing
with about 23 vehicles total in length. They work for
the segmented sections of the convoy (platoons as we
called them) but for the command net between me
(Convoy Cdr), the Platoon leaders, and the chanse
vehicles it was very difficult especially in terrain.

One of my coworkers suggested a more powerful FRS
radio available at Sam's club and other places that is
5 watt versus 500 milliwatt. Anyone know anything
about these? They sound like the answer to our
problems.

Of course in the hilly terrain cell service sucks too!

Tim

=====
Tim A. Scherrer
CO, 84th Infantry Division "Railsplitters," Reenacted
WWIIHRS and MVPA
Columbia, MO
www.geocities.com/soldierboy440/railsplitters

"You'll be fighting WWII for the rest of your life." Ron Scherrer, 1971