Re: [MV] tapping noise in M35

From: Patrick Jankowiak (eccm@swbell.net)
Date: Mon Jun 02 2003 - 13:57:44 PDT

I have taken the advice, and used a rubber hose, with a bic pen casing
at the end, so that the pinpoint precision can be made.

I cannot tell you how many wonderful and interesting noises I have
heard this morning, but I have not been able to detect any of the
aforementioned noise coming from the seal between the head and block.
I idled the engine up to about 1200 rpm, to accentuate the sound a
bit, and no part of the sides of the engine made and different sounds
than any other.

I did however find vestiges of this noise by contacting the exhaust
pipe with the tip of the pen casing. The contact left the mouth of the
casing open to air, and the edge of the casing mouth was slid along
the pipe. The noise appeared most pronounced after the bend in the
pipe after the turbo's flex pipe (after the chassis bracket which
holds the pipe up under the fenderwell body), and again at the curve
where the pipe goes straight up. Both these places are equally distant
from a mount, whether it is the fender plate mount or the chassis
mount. (no there are no holes in the stainless pipe) I also noticed
that the joint, at the junction between the turbo's flex pipe and the
exhaust pipe proper, seems to be hissing in time with the exhaust
pulsations. The ex. pipe chassis clamp and fender plate are nice and
tight.

I wonder now if the issue might be either one or the other of the
missing gasket at the flex pipe, or the floorboard amplifying the
noise somehow. Perhaps the joint is causing a whistle, wnich vibrates
inside the pipe and manifests as the aforementioned sound.

I also tried clutch in, and out. no difference there.

I have no objections to noises, and this noise appeared after changing
the fender and having the pipe off and on.

any guesses on this? I realize it is very strange, but I want to take
care of the truck before something ugly happens.