Re: [MV] CUCV Hesitation at Moderate to High RPMs...

From: Neil E. Amrhein (neil@compu-powr.com)
Date: Wed Jun 04 2003 - 05:05:25 PDT

Jim,
    It does sound like an air restriction, but since you eliminated that, I
would look for the fuel restriction. Change the filter. That will probably
fix it. If that does not fix it, I would take a look at the rubber fuel
supply lines, especially near the lift pump. I have seen (as the motor
mounts age and allow more flex), the rubber supply line get slightly kinked,
which limits the fuel available for higher RPM's. Shifting of the motor
(acceleration, curves, etc...) can also make it worse and cut off the supply
temporarily.
    The other source for a fuel restriction is the filter sock in the tank.
That's a little harder to check though... Of course, you could always pull
the supply off of the lift pump and blow compressed air back into the tank
(with the fuel cap off) to try and clear it out temporarily.

    When it hesitates, does it blow out any smoke at all (white or black)?

    Are you running the stock 195 t-stat? To be honest, 215 to 220 sounds a
little high, especially given that you are running a turbo (unless your foot
is always to the floor!). If it is a fuel restriction, it should run cooler,
since it is getting less fuel. Of course, my stock '88 Crew Cab 6.2L 4x4 w/
4.10's and no OD usually reads about 205-210 at any speeds (195 t-stat), so
it could just be that the stock gauge is off (what a surprise that would
be!).

    Unfortunately, that's about all I can think of to try right now.
Hopefully, someone else may have some other ideas, but I think the fuel
filter may be the whole problem.

    --Neil