Hydravac mystery solved

From: Timothy Smith (timothy.smith1@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Wed Jun 04 2003 - 00:59:37 PDT

Thanks lads, for all the replies.

Took a trip to San Antonio Brake & Clutch which should have been my very
first stop. The good folks there showed me an older style (but still very
much available as a new unit) hydravac that has no physical connection to
the mechanical workings of the brake pedals or master cylinder. Rather, it
is a remote unit that works on the same principal, but compresses the brake
fluid after it leaves the master cylinder. They stated that this system was
most likely what originally had been on the truck, given the lack of
evidence that a "standard" hydravac arrangement had even been a part of the
system (and by standard, I mean hydravac units, such as those found on scout
cars and half tracks. It's atmospheric and vacuum connections are the same
and it can mount anywhere within a reasonable distance of the vacuum source.
Problem solved.

I also was able to determine why the hydravac had been eliminated while the
remaining brake parts had been renewed (White Post).....it's going to cost
about $400.00. In any case, that's what's next for "Big Chief", my
butt-ugly International 1.5 tonner.

Once again, thanks for the replies!

Regards,
TJ