Re: [MV] Insurance Hell :(

From: Vadim Kogan (vadim@XCF.Berkeley.EDU)
Date: Thu Jun 05 2003 - 08:49:56 PDT

Everette, Caleb,

It very well might be. When I was trying to insure my M998, I had very hard
time finding some company that would a) insure a military vehicle b) not get
all weird when they hear how long the VIN is (in the pink slip the VIN is
the serial #).

Originally I got minimal coverage from progressive. The girl there was very
helpful. However, when I asked how much would be to add the rest
(comprehensive/collision/etc) it came out to something over $3K/6month if I
remember right.

A few weeks later my girlfriend got a license for car insurance stuff, so
now I have Farmers and it's something like $600/6month (it's my daily
driver, and I'm in the damn CA, where the zipcode you're in will cost you
+/- $300/6month easy). Note that this coverage is for stated value, which in
your case would probably be lower.

Also, I'm pretty sure that having all cars + house + life + etc from one
company would give you a very nice discount. So, if your current company is
picky about your vehicles AND you don't intend to give up on your MVs, you
might consider switching as much as possible to a new company and get a good
rate that way.

Also, get a degree :) Gives you yet another discount (and there might be
some deal between the university and the company. E.g. Geico has I believe
20% discount for UC Berkeley alumni. Too bad they didn't want to insure the
truck)

Hope that helps.

Vadim.