Re: [MV] M35 operation

From: m35products (m35prod@optonline.net)
Date: Thu Jun 05 2003 - 19:29:39 PDT

Does the transmission used with the "sprag" transfer also have a spring on
1st? If so, that further amplifies the opinion that many people, including,
it seems, the U S Gov't, had about the sprag. It was more troublesome than a
simple manually-operated transfer. To be forced to use 1st, or LL, when not
really necessary, just to ensure proper operation of the sprag, seems silly.

On my air-shift M35, it is not necessary to use 1st when starting up,
unloaded. Period. I do not slip my clutch when starting from 2nd. Perhaps a
study of the gear ratios, which at the moment I do not have at hand, will
show that 2nd on a deuce is close to 1st on a car or light truck.

On my 1956 Power Wagon, there is "1st", which is LL, and there is "2nd"
which is low. I always start in 2nd on that truck. That's the way I was
taught 45 years ago, that's the way I have started unloaded trucks since
then, and it seems to have been the right advice up until now.

For manuevering, under heavy loads, or in muck'n'mire, LL is admittedly the
best choice. Having a low range on the transfer is a luxury that most rear
wheel drive trucks don't have. Hence, LL is made available to their drivers.

But I could be wrong.

APB