Re: [MV] Bundesarchiv question

From: Steve Grammont (islander@midmaine.com)
Date: Sun Jun 08 2003 - 20:41:32 PDT

Hi David,

> What about German military photos at the Bundesarchiv

Best thing to do is email them and ask. However, I'm pretty sure they
are the property of the German government and you need permission to
republish them. The only reason US stuff is free to you is that you are
a US taxpayer and therefore they belong to you (not sure if the Feds have
strings for non-Americans). Lots of Federal stuff, like NOAA's maps and
US DoD pamphlets, are free or at "cost" for materials. My understanding
is that most stuff paid for by European taxpayers isn't available at all,
or at least not without cost, to them even though they foot the bill, so
I doubt a fern'er would get a free ride.

Steve