Re: [MV] 24 Volt Amplifier and speakers?

From: Patrick Jankowiak (eccm@swbell.net)
Date: Wed Jun 11 2003 - 18:38:41 PDT

Oh boy I am gonna rant on this!

I doubt the value of the plans. Why?

No images of operational 'proof of concept' models
No 'real' specifications for type of power output:
  Measured pulse energy at FWHM, spectrum information..
No real details to purvey facts to the engineering community.
No videos (ok, I am spoiled)
Why is this? could it be that they might be giving something away?
Could it be that the devices are not so simple or cheap to build? have
they ever built them? Where's the data? I am not going to pay to find
out.

I do know something about DEWs and EMP generation, and I see nothing
here but an uninformative advertisement.

Here's a picture of a small DEW I built and demonstrated:
http://151.164.128.17/eccm/

The source was a microwave oven magnetron. The beamwidth was about 20
degrees. It knocked out a PC-type computer at 10'. didn't smoke it,
just confused it and caused a crash. The computer was running DOS with
a GWBASIC demo program which cycled through a series of numerical
calculations. It can also be said that a dish for producing a nice
tight beam at the 2.4 GHZ frequency would have been minimum of 4-6'
diameter.

Those are the cheap seats. If you move up to high power radar
magnetrons operating at 10 or 15 GHz in order to attain higher peak RF
field density and reduce the antenna size, you will have all kinds of
very expensive, hungry, and ticklish power supplies and timing
generators to deal with. Not to mention a decent hydrogen thyratron
rated to switch perhaps 500A/20KV. Things that say "EG&G" on them are
usually not cheap.

'compact' EMP generators of any decent output often involve the
instantaneous interruption of a very high current through an inductor
or the instantaneous nullification of the inductance. The easiest way
to do this is to quickly destroy the inductor at the peak of the
current cycle.

I'd be more open to the web page's promises if there were some meat
there.

On another note, I have seen a 1200 watt CB linear in a car with a
102" stainless steel whip antenna completely thrash a boom car's
audio. proximity is a key. I decline to mention to whom the car or
linear belonged.

You can use a 5 watt ham radio on 144 or 440 MHz to screw with a PC.
The RF gets into the keyboard and any other exposed wiring. Cram such
an RF source and a 40watt amplifier (no room for the heatsink so be
careful) into a cellphone case with a couple of 9V batteries and a
compact antenna and you might have a cool toy for special occasions.

I can tell you how to slow down power meters. You can fix it so you
eat all the juice you want, and only pay for a small fraction of it.
Undetectably. Do you have room for a 7' tall, 6' wide, 30" deep
electrical enclosure full of 'very' large capacitors and inductors and
a 2KVA transformer and recifier? basically you AC-couple the mains
power from the meter to your load through two capacitors having a very
low impedance at 60Hz. (0.01 ohms for a 100A service assuming you can
live with a 2 volt drop due to reactance, so that is 0.26 farad -and
keep in ind the caps must not overheat when passing a 100A AC current
at 60Hz, so very low ESR is required. The ESR adds directly to the
impedance and causes more voltage drop by the way, so with an ESR of
0.01 ohm, the total of 0.04 ohms (Xc+R) will let you live with a 4V
drop at full load.). The rectifier DC supply output connects, through
two high current inductors having a very low DC resistance but a high
impedance (about 1000 ohms Xl or 2.6H in a case where you can connect
perhaps a 100 ohm resistor across the rectifer's output so that the AC
voltage impressed on the output of the power supply is both only about
5% of the mains voltage and small in relation to the DC output
voltage) to the 60 Hz current, to the mains. The inductors's DC
resistance is not as critical but the DC supply must have enough
voltage to pass 5-50A (experimentally determined for the degree of
meter slowing for a given load and individual meter) through the
combined series load of both inductors and the load represented by the
meter and the rest of the electric utiliy's external plant (that load
resistance may be assumed to be about zero maybe 0.001 ohms?). The DC
current flows through the meter, but not your loads. It partially
saturates the core of the power meter, slowing it down. A downside is
that some the DC also flows through everything connected to the other
side of your meter, including the neighbor's houses, the pole pig,
etc.. but there are enough loads out there no one will ever notice.
Anyone connecting a DC meter across the mains, would probably
attribute the tiny remnant of voltage as the result of a large
nonlinear load rather than a current source. Another simpler method
involves 'spiking' the meter with high current pulses. You can damage
or permanently magnetize it, so be careful or the electric co will
wonder why your bill suddenly went from $200 to $25. But I digress..

OOOPS! someone's selling those plans too! well now I have spoiled it!
(and probably given as much real information as the plans contain too)
see:

http://www.plans-kits.com/plans/plans.html for power meter tricks, and
a 'tunable maser'. well the tunable maser is really a microvave oven
magnetron mounted on the end of a long waveguide. It's tunable because
you always have to tune a vavegiude to match it to the magnetron.
OOPS! that's not a coherent source. Real masers are coherent sources.
Busted! It is more dangerous to the operator than to anything else.
Microwave energy blinds the eye by the way. Any radar operators on the
list to comment? And by all means correct me if I am full of crap.

Reality Implodes the Death Images!

Just be careful how you spend your hard earned cash.