CUCV Transmission problems

From: Nathan Wilkens (nathan.wilkens@asu.edu)
Date: Thu Jun 12 2003 - 17:06:36 PDT

Esteemed Colleagues,

It looks like my 86 M1009 has eaten her third transmission within one and
half years. Of course, I find this to be extremely amazing, considering
that the TH400 is supposed to be a darn good transmission. I've also had my
CUCV in perfect adjustment with shift points, vacuum pressure, etc, so that
wear should have been minimized on the transmission. I should also add that
I've only put 15,000 miles on her in the last year and a half, so I've not
worn the transmission out.

I'm going to have to do this rebuild myself (no else seems to be able to get
it right) - and I was considering rebuilding with a performance kit. Has
anyone tried this? Does anyone have rebuild kit recommendations? Is there
anything I should know before diving into a project like this (other than
the obvious - 'how do I do it?').

I'm a bit pressed for time on this rebuild, since I need my 'baby' back in
good health for a three weeks of off-roading near Moab Utah in July (can you
believe it? I'm actually getting paid to do that!).

Thanks,
Nathan Wilkens