Re: [MV] Helpful Info on pyrometers/M35's

From: Employee@MilVeh.com
Date: Fri Jun 13 2003 - 19:38:36 PDT

Truck: M35A2, single wheel axles, 1100x20,
Continental LDT-465-1c, turbo. Apx. 110 hours on
engine.

Project: Installed an in-dash pyrometer and used the
probe with a ring clamp to hold it in place.

This was a piece of cake to install. (Maybe later I
will weld in the pipe thread tube to the exhaust pipe
that is also provided, but for now it works perfectly
as designed with ring clamp) Took about an hour.

Cost was $107 complete.

Probe was installed about 1.5 inches [behind] the
turbo as per factory directions. Tip.. it's best to
be close as possible to back of turbo and have the
probe centered in exhaust pipe to get the most
accurate reading.

Here is what I found:

Around town the engine exhaust was about 450-500
degrees F. Driving it easy, shifting at 1800-2000
rpms.

If rev'd to about 2300 rpm with a grade or a load, I
could get it to 650.

On the hwy. (flat out) on a slight grade, no load, it
ran at 48 mph top speed at 1900 rpm, in 5th gear. I
got it once to just a tad over 800 degrees for a few
seconds and dropped it down a gear and it recovered
nicely. This was on about a 10% grade, took 3-4
minutes in 5th.

At 45 mph on a slight grade 3-5%, it ran about 690-710
degrees.

NOTE: I have the cargo cover on and I got to tell you,
the wind resistance does make a big difference on
these underpowered deuces.

As it is now... 49-50 mph on level ground is pretty
much top speed with the pedal all the way to the
floor. I could be in 4th or 5th too, doesn't seem to
matter, just revs a little higher in 4th, same speed.
If I had the power I bet I could do 60+ and still be
under max RPM, it is geared pretty high with
1100x20's.

Some of you may recall, I was having a power problem a
few weeks back and I tweeked the fuel density
compensator and it cured the serious under-power
problem. Back then, it would not get over 35 mph!

I may open the FDC a tad more, but I have a feeling I
got about all the power it was intended to get.

My thought is typical deuces are not going to run much
more than this. They are just under-powered, but they
will last a long time this way, right? If you tweek
for power a bit too much, you can risk overfueling I
am told. So I suggest don't do it unless you have a
pyrometer installed. This is a great little addition
and I feel a lot better knowing where my engine temp
is under load.

Any comments?

Hey... thanks again to those who helped me solve that
power problem... I am satisfied with a 50 mph deuce
with cargo cover, a 57-58 mph without cover!

Jack

PS 28 Jun 03 MV event Chico, CA. 0700 - 1100 hrs.
Community Church East and Ceres Ave. Free eats.