M1009 transmission help...

From: Nathan Wilkens (nathan.wilkens@asu.edu)
Date: Sat Jun 14 2003 - 12:26:34 PDT

Let me give everyone the background story on my (latest) M1009 transmission
failure...

I bought my truck in Dec 2001 with transmission problems (it had high miles,
so I expected a rebuild was in order). I then took it to a local shop for a
transmission rebuild - which cost a small fortune by the time it was done
(and other 'things' were added to it, transfer case rebuilt, fix a leak in
the rear main seal, ect). It completely failed again on Christmas eve 2002,
with only 8000 miles since the rebuild. Although the 12 month warranty had
expired by a few days, the shop agreed to rebuild it again. Now, only 3000
miles and 5 months later, it appears to have died again.

Earlier in the week, I noticed a rapidly forming puddle of transmission
fluid that was leaking from between the rear of the transmission (actually
the transmission adapter/support) and the transfer case. I went and made
sure everything was nice and tight along the gasket surface (several bolts
were slightly loose), I refilled with transmission fluid and took her for a
test drive. Initially, it ran fine, but within a mile or two of city
driving, it began to upshift at higher and higher speeds. I pulled over,
and noticed no leakage, and the fluid level was fine. Then, as I drove
home, it stopped shifting into 3rd entirely.
I dropped the transmission pan and found a large amount of copper colored
debris, as well as the usual black slime (which shouldn't be usual on a 5
month old rebuilt transmission).

My theory is that the rebuild shop used standard cheap-axx parts on their
rebuild that simply will not survive in a 6.2 diesel application.
Everything on the transmission was very carefully adjusted and everything
seems to be running perfectly - there are no strange vibrations, nothing
loose, no leakage (until last week). I do have the shift points set a
little low (20 mph from 1 to 2 and 35 mph from 2-3) to reduce the annoying
rev-up and gear slam from second to third that is common in the CUCV. This
lowering (and slowing) of the shifting is likely increasing the clutch wear
in the transmission - but I think I prefer that to the wear on everything
else.

Since I have discovered that I am the only good local mechanic for my truck
(maybe it's because I care that it's MY truck?), I'm left with doing the
rebuild myself. I've never done this before, but I was an Army trained 63B
mechanic (so I've a bit of aptitude). My question now is, what type of
rebuild kit should I get? I see several companies that offer various
rebuild kits including B&M's racing kits. Should I use a racing kit? Or
are there recommended heavy duty 4WD kits, for the slower speed rock
crawling kinds of stuff that I will soon be doing? Also, do I really have
to replace the torque converter if it's only 5 months old? (can I really
clean it out good enough to re-use?).

Thanks,
Nathan Wilkens