Lest we forget

From: Nigel Hay - MILWEB (Nigel@milweb.net)
Date: Sun Jun 15 2003 - 04:37:40 PDT

I have just spent a couple of hours with some of the Royal Norfolks veterans
who fought for this village where I live in Normandy, if any one thinks the
French have forgotten bout the liberation they have not.
 About 100 locals ( in the main under 50 years I would say) attended the
service was held at the spot where Sidney Bates VC was killed on Aug 7th 44,
the children from the local school sang our national anthem to the delight
of the Vets and the vets laid wreathes and flowers. Then it was down from
the ridge to the village school for a reception. Hearing their experiences
and telling the children about the attempts to knock out with PIATS the 3
Tiger tanks that were here in the village was humbling. I wouldnt have
missed it for anything.
At least 3 of the eight vets were wounded, and a couple of widows of those
killed here were also on the trip. One of the wouded vets said "you might
think i have had a stroke, its not , its where shrapnel damaged my spinal
cord"
When I mentioned that next years IMPS Normandy convoy would be visiting the
spots at Pave and Grimbosq where the Norfolks won their two VC's the old
vets were truly delighted and one, a sniper, told me how a yank taught him
to drive in a GMC.
I hope they all make it back for next year.

Nige