Re: [MV] Spin-on oil filter conversion

From: Marc Strangfeld (curlyjoe98@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Jun 15 2003 - 21:12:32 PDT

Tom

I had the same problem with my M35. I had just bought
a case of Fleetguard filters because the counterman
told me they came with rubber cover gaskets instead of
paper. He was wrong. I ended up ordering rubber
gaskets from a Hastings dealer. After that, I had no
problems. You wouldn't happen to be using a WIX
51970, NAPA 1970, or equivelent would you? If so try
a Hastings LF272, it may come with a rubber cover
gasket. I was tempted to try and convert to a spin on
also until I got the leaks fixed, then I decided it
wasn't worth it.

Actually, after putting the new filters and gaskets in
I went for a drive and when I came home I noticed a
bigger oil leak than before. Only to discover the
filters were still sealed, but the large pipe plug on
the side of the oil cooler was only in by about a
thread and a half and close to falling out! That
would have been just short of a major environmental
disaster let alone an engine failure.

Good luck.

Marc