5 Ton w/shop van and CMP cab?

From: Ryan M Gill (rmgill@mindspring.com)
Date: Mon Jun 16 2003 - 09:56:09 PDT

I've got an idea to support my Re-enacting hobby as a vehicle tractor
and general support vehicle. It involves the modification of the cab
of a 5 ton and the addition of a shop van to the chassis.

This type of arrangement as far as the chassis and cab type goes:
http://www.oldcmp.net/C60X.html

And a cab like this modified C15/C60.
http://www.oldcmp.net/C60S.html

The cab rework would be a serious task and if you looked close it
would be clear that it wasn't a CMP truck (Left hand drive would be a
dead giveaway as would the very un-CMP Dash).

With this kind of cab setup for the added interior space and seats
(note the extension for the longer engine block). Building up a
chassis from the hulk of a C15 or F15 would be the thing. One that
was pretty far gone as a template would work too. The space of the
engine inside the crew area moves the cab forwards nicely I think.

With this type of shop van:
http://www.easternsurplus.net/154d.JPG

or perhaps the M109 type shop van:
http://www.easternsurplus.net/153a.JPG

The additional chassis space would be quite useful for additional
kit, stowage bins and such. Add a frame rail extension off the back
for a platform and add a hinged stair and it's easy to get into and
out of.

Of course at this point it's all just an idea. I'd still have to
obtain a trailer that would carry the weight and be able to be easily
converted to 24 volt and air brakes vs the more basic setup that most
trucks have.

Thoughts? Possible problems?

--
  Ryan Gill              rmgill@SPAMmindspring.com
      |        |                  |          -==----
  '60 Daimler Ferret '42 Daimler Dingo '43 Humber MkIV (1/2)