Civil Defense vehicles 1950s

From: Bill Chambers (bchambers@hoovers.com)
Date: Tue Jun 17 2003 - 06:32:08 PDT

Ok,
Sorta offbeat, but...

Is anyone here up on the use of MVs by the Federal Civil Defense Admin. in
the early 1950s?
Heck, anyone know of any good reference materials, the internet has short
blurbs about the start, but not much else.
Turns out my grandfather was one of the first Fed Administrators, and would
like to look at getting info on vehicles, items, etc.

I would imagine that they were supplied with surplus vehicles, but how were
they painted, what were the markings?
I may remember Bert the Turtle with his "duck and cover" routine but I bet
some of this group were a tad bit older and more aware! <g>

Thanks,
Bill