Mule vs Gator

From: Bjorn Brandstedt (super_deuce@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Jun 18 2003 - 12:02:59 PDT

Just finished reading a 2-page article about John Deere's M-gator and how it
is supposed to replace the M-274 Mule (MVM Dec '02).
For some reason the M-Gator, which in reality is a 6-wheel ATV/golfcart with
keyless ignition, pintle hook and a blackout drive light, is being compared
to the Humvee and not to the Mule, which it is supposed to replace: "And I
can buy 8 Gators for the price of one Humvee" or "soldiers can load up to
four Gators in a Chinook as opposed to one Humvee..."

Ground clearance is less than 7 inches (My Isuzu Trooper has more than
that).
It's a 6x4 and I'm not sure if it even has front wheel drive. Why six
wheels?

Tell me, what happend to the Mutt? It can do far more than the "Gator" and
the Mule is a great little vehicle almost perfected for the job with many
more features.

Does the Army have to go commercial? Do we have to forget all great designs
of the past? We should build on the established standards not toss them
aside for something with more bells and whistles because it looks "good".

Does the Army have to shop at Wal-Mart?????

Bjorn
MVPA 19212