Re: [MV] M36A3 on Epay

From: Ronzo (rojoha@attbi.com)
Date: Fri Jun 20 2003 - 13:30:44 PDT

If you read the various GAO reports on the FMTV program, you find that the
A3 remanufacture program came about due to the Army and SS being unable to
deliver FMTVs on the time line as the program was envisioned.
    It's probably as the guy said, AM general took a surplus M36 and did a
conversion using the same equipment as the M35A3 on speculation to throw
into the pot. For a period of time the FMTV program was almost cancelled,
and AM General stood to make out.
    The final GAO report stated that on a per unit basis, the M35A3 was
superior in performance and durability and cheaper than the FMTV and that
the FMTV program should be cancelled. The Army chose to ignore the report.
Can't think of any politicians with any ties to Texas who may have had any
influence in the decision off hand .....