Chalk Markings?

From: Horrocks, Aaron (ACHb@pge.com)
Date: Tue Jun 24 2003 - 11:16:19 PDT

On Friday I was driving out to go to a combat sim for the weekend, and on the way there I saw about a dozen 10 Tons going the other way on I-5 in California. I'm pretty sure they were 10 tons, I know 2.5 Tons fairly well, and 5 Tons look pretty beefy in comparison, but these things were HUGE! The bumper on these trucks sat above most traffic, and the things dwarfed semi-trucks! Each one was a 5th wheel towing a flat bed trailer, with another trailer on the trailer. I guess they were moving trailers!

Anyway my question is this: Each Truck had white chalk markings on the driver's door. The Numbers were some thing like this: 03-12345. So, why would they mark up these trucks like that? Could they have been going to auction? Some sort of ID number for swapping bases? I've been pondering this one for a while and thought some of you guys might know.

Aaron Horrocks
1952 M38A1