M35A2 rear axle seal problem

From: Kirk Thompson (kpt@lanl.gov)
Date: Wed Jun 25 2003 - 08:50:45 PDT

Hi all.

I am having a really hard time if getting the rear-forward axle outer axle
seals to seal on my deuce. I have installed new ones (including the keyway
cork seal) and it still leaks.

Facts:
1. I can't find any axle tube vent on the axle. I was thinking maybe
pressure was building up and blowing oil past the seal.
2. The cone bearings and races look (and feel) good.
3. Installed new seals I got from Memphis Equipment.
4. Filled differential up to bottom of fill plug (too much?).
5. Snugged the spindle nuts to where there is no lateral play in the hub.
Not more, not less.
6. I have heard from my tire repair shop guy that the rear seals are really
finicky on these trucks (True?)
7. The outer seal surface that seals against the axle flange seems to have
very minimal contact with the flange (by looking at it sideways and seeing
how far it sticks out). Does this indicate my bearings/races are too worn
and are preventing a good contact surface?
8. The speedo reads 53K miles.

Any ideas are appreciated. Thnx.

-Kirk